We have chosen to offer Edexcel Maths Spec A as it is the most popular choice for home educators. It is available to students in both the summer and winter exam sittings. It also allows students to take a calculator into both papers.
Although from Summer 2017 GCSE Maths will be open to home educators many students are opting to stay with IGCSE as there will be several years’ worth of past papers available for practice. Many people consider the IGCSE as a better preparation for A level as it includes calculus and some other topics not covered in the GCSE. It allows students to be entered at either Foundation tier or Higher tier.
As home educating mums we’ve created our courses in response to the needs of home-educating parents and students but they are equally suited to any private candidate who wishes to study Mathematics IGCSE. Students can start at any time and work at their own pace towards taking the exams.
About the course
It covers each topic in turn:
- setting out what needs to be learnt
- explaining concepts and definitions which may be tricky
- providing worked examples throughout
- over 250 pages of content and assessments to cover every aspect required for the IGCSE exams
Edexcel Specification A details
The Edexcel IGCSE Mathematics Specification A is available for private candidates and can be sat in either January or June. Please note that January 2023 will be the last January sitting for this board. They will be moving their second sitting to November 2023 and from then on the sittings will be June and November.
Candidates will need to sit 2 papers.
Students are entered at either Foundation Tier or Higher Tier.
Foundation Tier students will take papers 1F and 2F. The highest grade which will be awarded at Foundation Tier is grade C.
Higher Tier students will take Papers 3H and 4H.
All papers are 2 hours long and worth 50% of the final mark. Calculators are allowed for all papers.
The following resources will be required to complete the course. You will need to purchase the 2013 versions (see ISBN numbers), as the previous 2010 versions are slightly different.
New Edexcel International GCSE Maths Workbook – for the Grade 9-1 Course
ISBN: 978-1782946724 (New 9-1 grade book)
CGP IGCSE for Edexcel Answer Book
ISBN: 978-1782946731 (New 9-1 grade book)
CGP GCSE Maths Tutor DVD-Rom
ISBN-15: 978-1782944294 * this is now available as a download from the CGP site https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/maths/mhvc43d-mathstutor-gcse-maths-video
Casio scientific calculator (or similar scientific calculator)
We have chosen to base this course around the CGP revision scheme, as after teaching maths for many years using a variety of expensive textbooks, we really do find these the best ones for students to get along with. The DVD-Rom is an excellent resource (It is also available as a download from the CGP site), and covers the vast majority of the topics you’ll be required to understand, and the workbook has lots of exam style questions to try.
Throughout the course, you will be referred to clips from the DVD-ROM/download, asked to complete practise questions from the workbook and set end of unit assessment tasks to complete. The course has been divided into 20 units.
Maths at GCSE and IGCSE level is quite challenging and requires students not only to have prior KS3 level maths knowledge, but to also be able to extend the use of this knowledge to answer more complex questions. Before starting the course students should:
- Know how to add, subtract, multiply and divide using both mental and written methods;
- Know the times tables up to and including the 12 times table;
- Understand negative and positive numbers and be able to use them with the four operations;
- Be familiar with decimals, fractions and percentages and how they show part of a whole;
- Use decimals with the four operations;
- Be familiar with square/ cube numbers and their roots;
- Understand algebra basics and be able to balance simple equations;
- Use co-ordinates to explain a position on a graph;
- Be familiar with mm, cm, m, km, ml, l, g, kg and tonnes;
- Be familiar with using and rearranging simple formulas;
- Know the names and properties of common 2D and 3D shapes;
If you don’t yet meet these requirements then our Key Stage 3 Maths course gives you all you need to be ready to advance to IGCSE level
Use the buttons below to download a sample of the course
You can purchase the complete course using the button below, using Paypal to securely complete your payment. You’ll then be given access to download the course as a PDF, and the links will also be in your email receipt.
Edexcel Mathematics IGCSE Complete Course