The Edexcel Double Science award covers topics from the three main science disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics and leads to two IGCSE grades in Science.
Double Science award course follows the same format as the single science courses. Which are now all available for both CIE and Edexcel exam boards. We only offer the Edexcel Double Award as a course.
The specifications change slightly most years but the fundamental outline of the knowledge required to take the examinations stays the same. If there are any major changes I will send out amendments with the course. In this way the course and set books can be used for any year, even if the student sets out at one pace and decides part way through that they will take the exam sooner, or indeed, later.
We created the courses in response to the needs of home-educating parents, and students but they are equally suited to any private candidate who wishes to study Science Double award IGCSE.
Students can start at any time and work at their own pace towards
taking the exams.
What has changed in the Edexcel Double Award Update 2017 for first examination in summer 2019?
Firstly let us reiterate that there is often confusion surrounding the words ‘updated specification’ and people often fear that much of the course has changed. This is not the case here. Indeed this is what Edexcel themselves say about the revised syllabus:
The major change is that the grading will now run from grade 1 up to grade 9 to ensure comparability with the regulated GCSE. Grade 4 is roughly equivalent to the old grade C, whereas grade 9 represents a higher level of achievement than the old A* grade, and will only be achieved by the very highest performing candidates.
Why choose Edexcel IGCSE (9–1) Science (Double Award)?
- Continuity from current specification to the new specification:
- Similar to the popular current specification (4SC0).
- 100% written examination: No practical coursework.
- Exposure to Biology, Chemistry and Physics: Allows students a broad exposure to all three sciences to gain two 9–1 grades. There is a reduced amount of content, but the qualification is assessed to the same standard as Biology, Chemistry and Physics. It is designed for students and centres with a more restrictive timetable or who are not required to study individual sciences.
- Suitable for co-teaching with Biology, Chemistry and Physics:
- Teachers can co-teach with the Biology, Chemistry and Physics as they will cover identical material examined in Paper 1.
If you have purchased the new course with the new textbooks this will all be covered in the material and you will be ready for the exam from 2019. However, if you have been covering our old course and aren’t quite ready for the last sitting of the old specification exams in January 2019 or you have older children who have used the old textbook, you have two options. We are very happy to send you the updated course pdf free of charge. You can then purchase the new textbooks if you would like to and work through from where you left off using the new course.
About the course
It covers each topic in turn:
- setting out what needs to be learnt
- suggesting spellings and definitions which may be tricky
- providing diagrams to label and annotate
- giving details of practical activities and experiments to carry out
When you buy the course it includes:
- tutor marked follow up assignments, to assess progress, and the opportunity to practise exam questions.
- full feedback to the student on their work by email or phone as necessary until they attain the examination grade they are happy with.
- the opportunity to sit a fully marked and graded mock exam with subsequent discussion on the level of exam entry.
The courses we offer provide a way for the student to find their way through the specification at either level using two set books. We haven’t included the set books with the course but to ask people to purchase these separately. This keeps postage costs down and gives them the opportunity to purchase second hand copies should they wish to do so.
Current Specification coursebooks for exams up to January 2019:
New Specification coursebooks for exams from summer 2019:
We have teamed up with a supplier called Kitchen Chemistry who can provide the chemicals needed for the Biology and Chemistry experiments at an extra cost of £65.40 plus p&p for the combined course. This is not compulsory but is suggested so that each item does not need to be sourced separately, contact details will be sent with the course. We have now added a Physics box too.
The course costs £630 as a download version that you can print as you wish – the set books and materials need to be purchased separately.
For a printed version you’ll need to add £39.95 to cover printing and P&P.
The course content includes preparation and support for all three subjects.
About the Exam
The candidate is required to register with an exam centre as a private candidate to take the exam.
Find out more about the exams here…
Use the buttons below to download samples of the course.
You can purchase the complete course using the button below, using Paypal to securely complete your payment. You’ll then be given access to download the course as a PDF, and the links will also be in your email receipt.
If you add the printed copy that will be dispatched within 7 working days (please note the P&P price is simply covering what it costs, and apply to UK postage only).
Edexcel Double Science IGCSE Complete Course
(for examinations before summer 2019)
Edexcel Double Science IGCSE Complete Course 2017-19 Specification
(for examinations from summer 2019 onward)
Pay by instalment
We also offer an easy payment plan that lets you spread the cost over four monthly payments. Choose your option below and it will use Paypal to set up an ongoing instalment plan once you checkout.
Edexcel Double Science (for examinations before summer 2019)
Edexcel Double Science – 2017-19 Specification
(for examinations summer 2019 onward)